Surtees S-22 Folding
High Performance Catamaran
DESIGN PHILOSOPHY - Keep it simple and practical. Keep costs low. Look exciting and different. Go FAST.
The S-22 is ideal for the smaller cat enthusiast looking to upgrade to a larger affordable racing cat with provision for overnight sleeping, cooking, toilet and yet be very fast. It's designed to carry 4 adults with comfortable sleeping arrangements for 2 adults.
The all new S-22 trailer racing cat is now proving to be a race winner. I look forward to update racing results along with video showing high speed action along with spinnaker sailing at end of August.
The power/sail project is still being finalised by the “World’s Greatest Computer” located between my ears. It will be some time before the final layout is completed as there are many conflicting compromises to be made.
In the mean time I will make available a trailer cat utilising the S-22 hulls, without the canards, as a party, fishing and camping platform with 20-30hp outboard, BBQ and generous seating and storage. With a folding bimini overhead cover, it will be ideal for lakes, rivers and harbours. With a maximum overall beam of 2.6m it will be stable, fast and economical to run.
The hulls will be joined by two aluminium beams with centre platform simply bolted to the beams. The power cat can be trailered by a single axel trailer as weight would be approximately 700kg in total.
S-22 JAGUAR WINS BAY TO BAY (Unofficially)
The 2016 Queensland premier trailer boat race and one of Australia's largest, was keenly contested with mono hulls, catamarans and trimarans, a total of 130 boats. Departing Tin Can Bay, anchoring overnight at Gary's Anchorage Fraser Island, then finishing at Hervey Bay on Sunday 1st May a total of 81km. This year, the Sunday racing was cancelled due to no wind, the first time in 36 years.
This was Jaguars FIRST RACE, other than a one off local race with only one multihull participating 4 months previous. As I have been overseas for the past 3 months Jaguar had a one day practice sail on the day before the big race. My crew Gary Harding, a seasoned and talented racing sailor, had Jaguar sailing (smoking) hard to windward at 18 knots in Tin Can Bay. Gary was yelling out for more wind, while I, white knuckled, held onto the sheet lines.
Gary commented that he had never before experienced such speed and “GET UP AND GO” as Jaguar beat to windward. The windward hull was still partially in the water so Jaguar still had a bit in reserve! We were quietly confident of a good showing in the race...
Peter Schwarzel - "Yacht Structures Engineer" & R.P.E.Q
Peter has reviewed major stress loads and wind pressure loading on various sail combinations on the S-22. Peter has contributed to the development of the AUSAU34 A72 "America's Cup" Hydrofoil Catamaran working on foil shapes, lifting loads and carbon fibre laminates. And YES, we have discussed a MK2 S-22 Hydrofoil version for those wishing to fly, but first thing's first.
See Peter's web site at www.carbon-works.com.au or Phone (07) 55 296 892
Items For Sale
- WING MASTS (4 available) - 10 meters long - $1,100 ea
Please note all prices are EX factory and in Australian Dollars.
I can be contacted on Mobile 0409891008 or email firstname.lastname@example.org or PO BOX 345 Tin Can Bay, QLD Australia, 4580
- Removable carbon fibre bow pole.
- NACRA rudder system (who have been at the cutting edge of fast multihulls for over 30 years).
- Fully battened square top mainsail, roller furling jib, roller furling screecher and asymmetric spinnaker.
- Folding is as simple as can be, boat can be launched folded or un-folded.
- Simple mast raising and lowering by one person.
- Huge centre cockpit where most sailing is performed, except driving hard in strong wind where the boat can be steered from the outer hulls. The centre cockpit can comfortably seat 4 adults.
- Sleeping accomodation with customised, full bimini cover. (Optional)
- Storage space for a "Porta-Potty", ice box, food and water, safety gear, stove under the mini cockpit (cuddy).
- Access to the hulls through 380mm x 430mm hatch opening.
- Construction - Core Cell and PVC structural 80kg foam core vacuumed along with double bias glass fabrics with 200kg density foam in high compression load areas, lots of carbon fibre in all stress areas. NPG gel-coat along with multi-colour choice will be available. Vinylester and Epoxy resin used throughout.
- Rotating Aluminium wing mast 10m (32' 9") (with all parts fitted expected to weigh under 40kg) with synthetic stays.
- All hardware supplied by world leaders Harken. Constrictors, screecher furler by Ronstan.
- Hulls have forward canards which are designed to provide dynamic lift and stability, dampen pitching and to also minimise hull depression and pitchpoling.
O.A.L : 6.96m (22'10")
O.A.B : 4.4m (14'6")
FOLDED BEAM : 2.5m (8'3")
HULL BEAM @ W/L TO O.A.L : 1:15
MAST TO O.A.L : 1:4
DRAFT (SAIL READY) : 200mm (8")
CENTERBOARD DRAFT : 1.5m (5')
SAILING WEIGHT : 500kg (approx.)
MAIN SAIL : Square top with six tapered battens
Sail Cloth: Challenger Performance 5.93oz
Sail Area: 20.3 Sq m
JIB : Furling
Sail Cloth: Challenger Performance 5.93oz
Sail Area: 9.8 Sq m
SCREECHER : Furling
Sail Cloth: Storm Lite Contender 2.2oz
Sail Area: 22.8 Sq m (radial cut)
Asymmetric Spinnaker : (with sock)
Sail Cloth: Super Coat .3/4oz
Sail Area: 40.5 Sq m (part radial cut)
All specifications subject to change.
Sails by UK Sailmakers Brisbane
How to keep nearly $50,000 in the Bank
The exciting All New S-22 High Performance Folding Trailer Catamaran, sail ready, drive away will be offered at an amazingly low price of AUD $55,000 ex factory (excluding GST). The S-22 (sail ready) includes all four sails, all furling gear, carbon fibre bow pole and winches. The only optional extras are the foldaway full Bimini cover, custom made roll-up mattresses and outboard motor. Thus a similar size trailer trimaran from NZ will cost nearly AUD $100,000 on trailer complete, sail ready at today's exchange rate and various import duty tax's and shipment costs etc.
For all your deck hardware and more, contact Andrew 'Spot' Smith (0417554331) and Dick McCulloch (0408446862) for expert friendly advice and service. www.ronstan.com.au
CG Composites are providing structural epoxies for the S-22 Beam Bulkheads and Deck to Hull joints. Contact Andrew Ogilvie and the team for expert advice and outstanding service at (07) 38682025 ( Brisbane QLD ) or www.cgcomposites.com.au
Cooloola Cover Upholstery & Canvas Works
33 years trade experience. Call Brian Pocock on 0488 629 710.